Monday, November 07, 2005

Sausage and Kale Soup courtesy of Williams-Sonoma

Chicken sausage is a recent find of mine, and I'm just enamoured (sp?) of it. I especially like it in soups, and of course I still have some kale to use, so when I saw this recipe in the Williams-Sonoma Christmas catalog, I decided to try it. I love those catalogs; the photography is lovely and they always have interesting-sounding recipes, but I'd never tried one.

So I tried this one, and it wasn't bad. There were the usual suspects - onion, garlic, carrots, celery, leeks, thyme, chicken stock - plus some vermouth reduced by half, kale, chicken sausage and white beans. Chop up the vegetables (except the kale) and soften them up in a Dutch oven. Reduce a cup of wine by half and add to six cups of chicken stock in a large stockpot. Add the beans to the stockpot, then puree the beans. Bring the liquid up to a low simmer while the vegetables are softening. Broil the sausage, then slice it up. Add the liquid to the vegetables and let it simmer for 20 minutes, then add the sausage and kale (cleaned and torn into pieces) and simmer for another 10 minutes. Top with some Parmesan and serve with a nice crusty bread. Pretty good stuff for a catalog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home