Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Best Roasted Potatoes

I give all credit to Nigel Slater for these - they are so, so good. For each person, buy a medium sized waxy potato, like a Yukon Gold. Peel them, then cut them up into two-bite pieces. Put them in a pan of cold water, bring it to a boil, salt it then reduce the heat and let them simmer for five minutes. Drain the water, leaving the potatoes in pan. Then shake-shake-shake the pan, roughing up the potato surfaces. Put them into a roasting pan with a layer of fat (just a skim, not too much) on the bottom - I use olive oil, which I'll augment with meat fat if I have any on hand - and stir the potatoes so they're coated. Cook them in a 395-degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring the potatoes every fifteen minutes. Sprinkle them with salt when they're done, serve and keep your hands out of the way!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

395-degree oven? Must have been translated from British degrees, where it was a round number?

Anyway, they sounds great!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Valyn said...

You're exactly right. I bought his cookbook when I was in the UK, so I have to convert the temp from 200 C. Onlineconversion.com is great if you've got foreign cookbooks!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home