Monday, November 07, 2005

No More Farm Share

Our farm share is over for the season as of November 1, and I have to say I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, the tyranny of the vegetables is over (not to mention the trip out to the Allston/Cambridge line). I was getting a little sick of having my menus dictated by Mother Nature; I've got one more recipe's worth of kale I've got to do something with, and I've got five bulbs of celeriac in the fridge I have absolutely no idea what to do with.

On the other hand, I went shopping at Whole Foods this weekend and browsed the produce section, just for reorientation purposes. I saw anemic green beans, tired lettuces and pitted peppers. Gone are the vibrant colors and lucious smells of just-from-the-farm veggies. The prices sent me and my cart careening right out of there! Looks like it will be a long and expensive winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home