Saturday, October 22, 2005

Roasted Butternut Squash with Shallots and Thyme

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we've been getting winter squash in our CSA farm share, including butternut. I had made a butternut squash risotto and while good, it wasn't good enough to post here, keep the recipe or make again. But I had more squash, so I decided to keep it simple and roast it. I found a great recipe in Cook's Illustrated that included shallots and thyme, two of my favorite flavors. And it's so easy!

Peel the squash (this is the hardest part because the squash gets slippery - if your peeler is dull, forget about it), and cut it into good-sized cubes. Peel some shallots and separate the bulbs. Trim the root end and slice the top off the other end. Mince some thyme leaves. Put it all in a roasting pan, toss with olive oil and salt. Put it in a 425-degree oven and cook for 45 minutes, giving the pan a good shake every fifteen minutes. I served it with boneless chicken breast marinated in grated shallots and oil, then sauteed with some herbs. The dish is savory and sweet, makes the kitchen smell yummy and is just generally great. I'm making some tomorrow to take up to our niece's house in Maine, and I don't expect to bring home any leftovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home