Monday, November 21, 2005

Butternut Squash with Red Grapes and Sage

Early winter in New England and we're awash in squash. They're overrunning the produce aisles, not to mention my pantry shelf. Butternut squash is easy enough to cook (peel, seed and chop into cubes, toss with some oil and roast until tender) but a little bland on its own. So I went Googling and found this really interesting combination on Epicurious.

Peel, seed and chop the squash and put it in a big mixing bowl. Add red seedless grapes (nice and firm, no mushy ones), an onion chopped into big pieces and lots of chopped fresh sage. Drizzle with a combination of oil and melted butter, season with lots of salt and pepper and mix it up well. Pour it into a big roasting pan and roast for about a half hour at 425 degrees, stirring once or twice.

Garnish with toasted pine nuts. I was going to omit this, but I had some pine nuts in the pantry and they really added a nice crunchy tangy element to the sweet squash and grapes. I served this with broiled veal rib chops for a very nice dinner.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Mmmm, that sounds delicious! I actually made a recipe with butternut squash for the first time today and actually really liked it. Nicholas and I made Butternut, Goat Cheese and Walnut Spread and it was delish. I'll have to try your recipe next.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home