Saturday, December 24, 2005

Sauteed Foie Gras with a Balsamic-Red Currant Sauce

Sauteed Foie Gras with a Balsamic-Red Currant Sauce
Recipe
My good husband introduced me to sauteed foie gras (as opposed to the foie gras in terrines that are served room temperature), and I've become a convert. We've eaten it in several restaurants over the years, and I made it for the first time last New Year's Eve and I was somewhat successful in my execution of the dish. We decided we wanted it again but I needed a better recipe. The one I used last year wasn't really what I wanted. After some searching, I cobbled together enough information to write up my own.

Some learnings:
  • Buy it from a reputable butcher or specialty store who knows how to handle it and prep it for you. In Boston, I use the Butcher Shop.
  • Limit handling of foie gras. The heat from your hands makes the fat-laden liver start to melt.
  • If the butcher hasn't deveined it for you, devein using two knives. The vein, while edible, has a texture so different from the liver that it's very noticeable when eaten.
  • If it breaks into pieces, oh well. Cook them and reassemble when serving.
  • Flouring the liver helps it keep its shape when cooking.
  • If serving on a slice of bread, select a bread type that's soft and has a soft crust (or cut the crust off), and slice the bread thinly.
  • It cooks REALLY fast so be prepared to eat about four minutes after you begin cooking.
  • Any berry-laden jam could work; red currant is just a favorite of mine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I admit to being a squeamish meat eater/preparer. You lost me at "de-vein"...well actually you lost me at "foie gras" but I enjoyed reading your entry anyway!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home